Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Smoothie Power

Smoothies are one of my favorite ways to sneak in a few veggies and give me a boost of energy before my workouts. I used to think it was all about dairy and fruit which quite honestly is more of a sweet treat than a healthy daily snack. My favorite base for my smoothie(again purchased at Costco) is 100% organic carrot juice. In my pantry I have 16 clear containers all containing different nuts, dried berries, vanilla beans, figs, shredded unsweetened coconut, flax seeds, oats, buckwheat, quinoa, etc. In my refrigerator I always have fresh green veggies on hand: spinach, bok choy, celery, etc. Last but not least, the fruit bowl on my counter contains, lemons, limes, oranges and bananas. Having a variety of pure ingredients on hand equals infinite smoothie possibilities . . .

Here are some hints for putting a healthy smoothie together:
-Use a Vitamix to emulsify veggies - chunks are not pleasant.
-Bananas and nuts mask the green veggie taste.
-Lemons and limes add a little punch.
-Want a more filling smoothie? Add 1-3 tablespoons of oats, buckwheat or quinoa.
-Have fresh fruit that is about to spoil? Toss the fruit in a ziplock bag and freeze, frozen fruit works great in smoothies.

No comments:

Post a Comment